Friday, August 7, 2015

Who did Christ live for?

We regularly hear that Christ died for us, and that even if there had be just one of us, He would have suffered the whole, infinite Atonement just for you or me. I believe that to be true... and I have another question:
Who did Christ live for?
Might I suggest that He lived the gift of His life for Himself? I believe He also lived for Himself -- for the purpose, meaning, and mission that was His.

How could I say that? I mean, didn't He give His life to all of us?

Let's consider a change to that common comment -- instead of asking: "if there was only me, would He still have done it?" might we consider the question: "if He were to know that no one would choose Him, would He still have done it?"

I believe yes. It was His mission. I believe that Jesus lived first and foremost for Himself and that only by so doing could He also live for us!

By living for Himself, He thus lived for His Father and also for us.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13)

Could it be that laying down your life doesn't mean dying for them? Could it mean you live your life mission and that only by so doing can you truly give your life to others?

He is our Exemplar. He lives!
Who are you living for?

No comments:

Post a Comment