Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Choosing to Believe

There was a change of schedule. I had a week's notice to put something together, which is far less than my preference. A month would be nice, a week? Stress.

The evening arrives. The night before I practiced my presentation with my family. It was a perfect presentation... for young children. It was not at all appropriate for my adult audience.

Walking down the stairs leaving my day job I feel weight on my shoulders. I know the content, but can I present it in a way that provides value, that's interesting, that is useful and helpful? I've had a few loose ideas about how to change it for an adult audience, but it's rather scattered. I begin reviewing it again as I get to the bottom of the stairs. My mind scatters around ideas as I traverse the hallway to the side door near where I parked the car.

As I push open the door and step outside a light, lovely rain greets y skin and a gust of refreshing wind -- you know, the kind that smells like heaven -- shatters my thoughts into a lovely calm. I look up to give thanks and feel a warmth in my heart.

I remember a recent realization -- God is fully engaged in supporting my life. I am the one lost sheep of the ninety and nine. He is dedicated to me. (John 4:19)

I take confidence in this belief. I choose it. By so doing, my way of being regarding this evening has shifted. I have become consciously aware for myself that it is believing, in this case, that will make the difference.

Yes, I still have a presentation to give, and yes, I still have last minute preparations to do. However, it is the believing, the trusting, that will make success of those efforts.

Doubts try to creep in as the evening progresses -- while I seek some details of information, while I print out my content, while I realize after printing I want to have a little more something at hand so I have to write it onto my paper -- but through all these activities I push out those doubts by choosing to trust, by choosing to believe.

I look back after the presentation concludes. I didn't know exactly the course it would take, but I'm very pleased with it. Feedback tells me it provided significant value at least for some.

I feel so grateful.

Yesterday was my turn to speak at Weekly Whys.

I loved it!

I'm so glad I did!




No comments:

Post a Comment