Thursday, June 26, 2014

Liberty or Death?

Patrick Henry's immortal words "I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" (Emphasis mine) are heralded as a stirring principle high on the pedestal of American freedom culture.

He was arguing at the time for official engagement in the revolutionary war. He was arguing that the war was inevitable and indeed had already begun, and that to pretend otherwise would be to "retreat [into] submission and slavery." "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" he exclaims. (Source)

Having been raised with this culture and history, I have taken this mindset as absolute truth most of my days.

However, could it be possible that this is not always the appropriate response? As inspiring as are his words, and as appropriate as they seem at his time, I do not feel confident that life is to be sacrificed on the altar of mortal freedom as a rule of course.

I find Gideon's words in the Book of Mormon interesting. His people had been placed in bondage due to a previous wicked king who, to put it kindly, left them vulnerable to their enemies (Mosiah 11:16-17). When threatened with annihilation due to a misdirected accusation, Gideon spoke these words: "And now let us pacify the king. . .for it is better that we should be in bondage than that we should lose our lives." (Mosiah 20:22)

When I recently read this I felt a bit confounded! "Wait!" I thought, "what about the nobility of 'give me liberty or give me death?!'" It gave me cause to wonder and search a little.

In speaking to our day, Mormon said "Know ye that ye must lay down your weapons of war. . .and take them not again, save it be that God shall command you." (Mormon 7:4) Taking up arms is not the default. Indeed, we are not to engage in battle with any nation save God shall command us to do so. (I wonder how things would change were this counsel heeded today!)

And then I came across this beautifully insightful verse. "We would subject ourselves to the yoke of bondage if it were requisite with the justice of God, or if he should command us so to do." (Alma 61:12) Here they are -- the conditions of when to submit and when to physically fight. So how does this apply to Gideon above?

In the very verse prior, he says "For are not the words of Abinadi fulfilled, which he prophesied against us--and all this because we would not hearken unto the words of the Lord, and turn from our iniquities?" (Mosiah 20:21) I understand this to mean that Gideon recognizes their bondage to be "requisite with the justice of God!" Later, the people do not remember to subject themselves willingly and they try to fight their way out. It doesn't go so well and they are decimated three times over before finally submitting and repenting! (Mosiah 21).

In contrast, the people of Alma are also subjected to bondage requisite with the justice of God (Mosiah 11:21-25, Mosiah 24) They had already repented and so they were willing to submit to whatsoever the Lord saw fit. As such, no one perished and the Lord delivered them.

Note, in all this, I am in no way discrediting Patrick Henry or his speech or statement! Indeed it seems appropriate and inspiring for his situation. My desire is to seek understanding about how I have interpreted his statement in a way that may not be aligned with Truth.

"Give me liberty or give me death" could well be the catch phrase of Captain Moroni, but not because he was bloodthirsty. (Nor, do I believe, was Patrick Henry.) I think I, in the past, have garnered a sense of coercive power from this quote that was not intended and is not appropriate.

There may be times wherein we are to yield up our liberty even when it is not "requisite with the justice of God." There may also be times wherein we are called to defend our liberty with arms.

I believe in this quote that Patrick Henry's is eloquently expressing his belief that God was calling them to defend their liberty. May I have the courage to say the same if so called upon, and may I have the courage to yield up that liberty if so called upon.


No comments:

Post a Comment