Thursday, November 9, 2017

The Purpose of Education

What is the purpose of education?

I don't mean school, I mean education.
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." --Mark Twain
What is education anyway? And what does it mean to be well educated?

I believe there is no one-size-fits-all answer for everyone.
"There is no one best way to do anything. . .There are as many best ways as there are creative minds." --Crawford H. Greenwald
And yet how often do we set expectations on what it means for anyone to be considered "educated?"
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” --Albert Einstein
Many of our judgments upon others are in reality rules we have for ourselves that we project onto those around us. So let's start with ourselves!

What does it mean for you to be educated? What is education even about for you?

A man who gave much of his life was clear in his own view as he expressed:
"Character is the aim of true education; and science, history and literature are but means used to accomplish this desired end. Character is not the result of chance, but of continuous right thinking and right acting.
"True education seeks to make men and women not only good mathematicians, proficient linguists, profound scientists, or brilliant literary lights, but also, honest men, with virtue, temperance, and brotherly love. It seeks to make men and women who prize truth, justice, wisdom, benevolence, and self-control as the choicest acquisitions of a successful life.
"It is regrettable that modern education so little emphasizes these fundamental elements of true character." --David O. McKay
For him, education was about the development of character!

What is it for you?

My answer for myself and, as a father, for my children until they leave, are five-fold:
1) Character -- Virtuous, Kind, Diligent, Respectful, Faithful, Etc.
2) Relationships -- With God, Self, Family, and Friends. Emotional intelligence. Etc.
3) Mission -- A sense of clarity and purpose about one's life's works
4) Scholarship -- Reading, Writing, History, Mathematics, Speaking, Etc.
5) Stewardship -- Financial intelligence, Health, Wellness, Generosity Etc.

As I seek to develop myself, I seek improvement in these five areas.

I've never arrived! I love growth! I love learning! I love change!

So what is it for you? What is the purpose of your education? And is it complete? If not, what's your next step?

No comments:

Post a Comment