Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Conferring Keys

I was struck this morning in my scripture study when I read the following verses.
And it came to pass that king Mosiah granted unto Alma that he might establish churches throughout all the land of Zarahemla; and gave him power to ordain priests and teachers over every church. Mosiah 25:19
Now king Mosiah had given Alma the authority over the church. Mosiah 26:8 

I read these and thought -- wait, what? Since when does God's church get authority from a government of men? Why did Alma need authority from the king to ordain priests and teachers, or to have authority over the church, etc.?

Then it occurred to me that Mosiah had been the prophet-king, just as his father before him had been! Alma didn't need authority from the King, he needed authority from the current leading prophet!

It's as in the old testament wherein there were multiple prophets at the same time!

What King Mosiah was doing here was conferring whatever prophetic office he held to Alma. I don't mean to say I think Mosiah was giving up his prophetic role. Rather, it's like a Bishop getting released -- the Bishop remains a Bishop, though his keys are no longer exercised as another takes the active calling.

Thus King Mosiah essentially creates perhaps the first official separation of church and state of the Nephite era.

This is totally a thinking out loud here (as are all my posts on this blog). I have *no* idea if this is doctrinally accurate, but it's one possibility for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment