Monday, March 23, 2015

Why are you doing this?

It seems every time I tell someone about putting on Ben & Jerry's Free Cone Day I get asked, "why are you doing this?" My answer? Because I love it! I love the ice cream, I love sharing it, it makes me happy, and it's fun! The amount of joy it brings me is seriously immense.

Of the numerous business events I've put on, I don't think anyone has ever asked me "why are you doing this?" I wonder if it's assumed, "well, it's a business, so it's to make money of course!"

Of the business people I know, money is not a sufficient drive to do what they do.

When my Dad was put in a serious financial predicament in his construction business, working literally 20-22 hour days, people would ask him "why don't you just declare bankruptcy?"

Did he say "I've got to make it work for the money?" Are you kidding? No, not at all. He would walk the person out of the office and point up at the sign above the door that said "Lyle Parks Jr. Inc." and say, "you see that? That's my name. I don't declare bankruptcy -- my dad just didn't teach me that."

To build and run a business takes more drive than money alone can provide.

So next time you chat with someone building a business, someone who has refused to give up even in the hard times, pay them a complement -- ask them what drives them! And be prepared to feel inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment