Thursday, April 10, 2014

Prophecy Without Charity

"And though I have the gift of prophecy. . .and have not charity, I am nothing." (1 Cor. 13:2)

In this post, I would like to briefly explore and consider this portion of verse. What does it mean to have the gift of prophecy? Why is charity such an essential ingredient?

In revelations we read "for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy." (Revelations 19:10)

The prophet Joseph Smith said "Now if any man has the testimony of Jesus, has he not the spirit of prophecy? And if he has the spirit of prophecy, I ask, is he not a prophet? And if a prophet, will he not receive revelation? And any man that does not receive revelation for himself must be damned, for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy. For Christ says, ask and you shall receive; and if he happens to receive anything, I ask, will it not be a revelation?" ("Teachings: Joseph Smith" Chapter 33)

As I understand this, the spirit of prophecy is the revealed testimony that Jesus is the Christ; the spirit of prophecy consists of revelation.

Yet receiving revelation and having a revealed testimony of the divinity of Christ, all without following His example of love, what will it get you? Well... pretty much just a greater damnation thanks to your greater accountability through the witness you've been given.

I have yet to investigate deeply what it means to be nothing. Moses said man is nothing, and the verses in 1 Corinthians 13 as well as Moroni 7 speak of being nothing without charity. I think of Christ teaching that he who would be the greatest should be the servant. With time, I want to look into dig deeper there.






No comments:

Post a Comment